Combatting the chill of bitter Fox Valley winters takes a strong, fully functioning HVAC system. It goes without saying that getting your furnace ready for the coldest months in Elgin and the nearby area is vitally important to your comfort and well-being. The winter chill has arrived, and it’s more important than ever to get your furnace maintained so you can be ready for a warm and cozy winter season! If you’ve never had your furnace professionally maintained, you may be wondering not only if it’s necessary, but what to expect. We’re here to help answer those very questions!
Benefits of Professional Furnace Maintenance in Elgin and Fox Valley
You hear it time and time again: furnace maintenance is important. But why? If your furnace is running fine, is it really necessary? The simple answer is: Absolutely. There’s more than just a quick cleaning and look under the hood when you have a detailed, professional maintenance visit from an experienced technician. Scheduling maintenance for your furnace (new or old!) each year not only saves you money but brings a host of benefits that will give you peace of mind during the chilly months of the year.
Maintains Your Furnace’s Warranty
Forgetting to have your furnace maintained can void its warranty. When a breakdown occurs, the cost of the parts and services will have to come out of your pocket. If you schedule regular maintenance, you can keep your furnace protected under warranty, putting the financial burden for repairs on the manufacturer.
Better Indoor Air Quality in Elgin and throughout Fox River Valley
There are multiple sources of air contaminants that affect air quality. As individual contaminants, they might not be that dangerous, but when combined, they can be very harmful to your health. Things like smoke from tobacco or cooking, asbestos building materials, wet or dirty carpets, pressed wood cabinets and furniture, cleaning supplies, pets, personal care items, scented candles or fragrances, dirty ductwork, pesticides, and more can create a dangerous level of airborne contaminants. Making sure your air filter is changed regularly and your furnace is maintained properly can go a long way towards improving your indoor air quality and mitigating the risks of staying indoors all winter.
Longer Furnace Lifespan
When your furnace works too hard to do its job, it shortens its lifespan. Having your furnace maintained will make it last years longer than doing nothing at all to prepare it for winter. When minor components break, it’s imperative that they’re replaced quickly so it doesn’t put undue strain on your furnace. A breakdown in one component leads to a breakdown in another component, eventually leading to multiple systems failures. Regular maintenance can stop this process before it goes too far.
Lower Utility Costs
When your furnace is straining under the weight of worn-out components, dust, and other issues, it makes it work harder to maintain its performance. The harder your furnace works, the more energy it consumes to do its job. Regular furnace maintenance can put a stop to outrageous energy bills.
What to Expect During Furnace Maintenance
Now that you understand some of the many benefits of scheduling annual furnace maintenance, what actually happens during the tune-up?
Your HVAC technician will perform a number of duties while tuning up your furnace, including:
- Inspect your system for damage like cracks, rust, or deterioration.
- Cleaning the burners and flue of soot, debris, and condensation so they work efficiently.
- Adjusting the fan switch to prevent short cycling.
- Calibrating the thermostat. A thermostat with even one degree of inaccuracy can cost you hundreds of extra dollars per year.
- Checking voltage and amperage draws on all motors in the HVAC unit. An improper draw is an indication of electrical problems.
- Cleaning and adjusting pilot, assembly, belts and pulleys, and various other components. Worn parts that don’t operate properly reduce efficiency and waste electricity while causing undue wear and tear on the system as a whole.
- Lubricating all moving parts of the HVAC system to prevent sticking.
- Testing safety mechanisms to ensure they work.
- Test combustion air openings for flow. Low airflow equals a shorter lifespan and lower efficiency.
- Check gas lines for leaks. A leaking gas line can cause an explosion, especially when it’s next to a pilot light.
- Check the panels to make sure they’re secure.
As you can see, there’s quite a bit more than making sure it turns on! Getting annual heater maintenance for your Elgin heating system is important for the efficiency and effectiveness of your furnace. It can ease your worries and ensure the safety of your home and family. Not only can furnace maintenance make your heater work better, but it also protects your investment by increasing the lifespan of the system.
Protect your investment, lower your costs, increase your comfort, and maintain the warranty requirements from your furnace manufacturer by getting your furnace maintained every year. Leith Heating and Cooling is a leader in furnace services like maintenance in Elgin and the Fox River Valley. We offer a worry-free service agreement to make it easy for you to have your heater tuned up every year. Call us now to sign up!